Wednesday 7 May 2014


My Sugar Detox Plan



I have been feeling out of sorts for a while now. I have been having mood swings, and my stress levels seem to always be on a tipping point, even with getting plenty of exercise which usually helps me. The smallest little things throw me over the edge into a meltdown. And I have major food cravings. Of course for things that are horrible for me. And I have been giving in to those cravings much too often. I baked a cake for a work function last week and I consumed so much sugar in the baking process, that I was nauseous, groggy, and had a headache all day the next day. I went to bed at 5pm the next day. But as bad as I felt, I had a big old piece of that cake. I was craving white bread that whole day as well. It made me realize I have an unhealthy relationship with food that I need to do something about. I can never have one cookie, I have 8. I don't have a few chips, I have a bag. For this reason, and to attempt to re-establish a healthier diet, I have pieced this plan together from cleanses I have done before, and some internet research. Believe me, I have been dreading implementing this plan. I know it is going to be challenging, but I truly believe I will feel better when I shrug off this sugar demon.



Sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine.


Being addicted to sugar and flour is not an emotional eating disorder. It’s a biological disorder, driven by hormones and neurotransmitters that fuel sugar and carb cravings — leading to uncontrolled overeating. This is not a limited phenomenon. It’s the reason nearly 70 percent of Americans and 40 percent of kids are overweight. In one study, Harvard scientists found that a high-sugar milkshake (compared to a low-sugar one) not only spiked blood sugar and insulin and led to sugar cravings, but it caused huge changes in the brain. The sugar lit up the addiction center in the brain like the sky on the Fourth of July. Think cocaine cookies, morphine muffins or smack sodas!
- Mark Hyman MD
*** click the blue links for more info/recipes


Step 1:    Cold Turkey  
This doesn't have to be as scary as it seems. You can learn a whole new way of cooking. But first we have to give up all those empty carbs and nutrient poor foods. No counting calories, and no portion control! Eat as much of the approved food as you want.
  • no sugar, flour, sweeteners (natural or artificial) - so no cheating with maple syrup, aspartame, Splenda, date sugar, etc.
  • no processed foods - if it comes in a box its gone! REAL WHOLE FOODS ONLY!
  • no refined grains in pasta, bread, crackers, cookies, cakes, muffins etc.
  • no trans fats, hydrogenated fat, or MSG
  • no pop, fruit juice, or energy drinks
  • no alcohol
  • deep fried anything
  • no grains or legumes for the first 10 days (unless you are vegetarian- then have legumes)
  • no high glycemic index vegetables - bye bye potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, carrots, corn.  :(
  • Every other vegetable is fair game. The more the better. This is where we are getting our carbs from now
  • give up all fruit for the first 3 days, then low glycemic fruits only. 
  • protein with every meal
I am going to allow myself to have coffee (because I still want to have a job at the end of this, and no carbs + no sugar will make me cray cray!), limited dairy (don't fill the void with cheese!), and healthy oils- coconut, walnut, olive. We still have to enjoy our food right?

What you can eat:

Meat - just stay away from processed meats, and anything cured (ie bacon). Unless you buy the kind free from additives these are packed full of nitrates. Tofu, and tempeh are also allowed.

Low GI fruits - cherries, grapefruit, pears, green apples, green grapes, plums, dried apricots.

Vegetables - green beans, peas, asparagus, tomatoes, green leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, kale, etc), broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, mushrooms, celery root, onions, peppers, avocados, celery, rapini, anything that isn't on the list of high GI vegetables above. 

Dairy - low fat cottage cheese,plain yogurt - flavoured yogurt always has either sugar, or artificial sweeteners, so we can add our own fresh toppings to the yogurt instead, occasional cheese (you have to live, right?), low fat milk

Seeds and Nuts- unlimited - chia, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, all nuts and nut butters

Herbs and Spices - UNLIMITED- make your food taste good. There is a world of spices out there, experiment. But take it easy on the salt. You can omit the salt from most recipes and it will still taste great.

Drinks - herbal tea, black tea, limited coffee, water

Pay very close attention to condiments. Many have sugar added. Ketchup, BBQ sauce, salad dressing etc. Besides these things are processed, so they fall under the no no list. It is easy to make your own salad dressing with a little vinegar and oil. 




No Cheating!!!



Say goodbye to this crap!

Step 2:


After 10 days we can reintroduce whole grains and legumes. Still no bread, pasta, crackers etc.
This means popcorn is an allowable snack! Corn is still off the table though, due to it's high sugar content.

any variety of bean
lentils
chickpeas
brown rice (stay away from white rice)
millet
bulgur
barley 
buckwheat
oats
couscous
cornmeal
popcorn
quinoa

Step 3:
After 3 weeks we can start to slowly add fruits, and the high GI vegetables (yay! potatoes!) back into the diet. Do not go crazy and eat everything all at once. You just put a lot of effort into reducing your dependence on sugar and simple carbs. Try to keep the good eating habits you learned while going through this detox.
Life happens, and we can't avoid unhealthy food and drinks all the time. Food adds so much enjoyment to life. the occasional burger or cupcake will not hurt as long as your core diet is full of nutrients. Just be careful not to slip back into bad habits.
Processed foods should have very little to no place in your diet. The companies who make them (for the most part) are only concerned about making profits, not about making food nutritious. These foods are full of sugar and salt, and not much more. The only reason they make them is because we keep buying them, so let's stop! If you want the occasional baked goods, make them yourself. This way you will know there are no chemical additives.


Your body is literally made of what you eat. Give it the ingredients it needs to make itself strong, healthy, and whole.



Meal Ideas:

Breakfast - chia oatmeal, eggs with veggies, smoothies/protein shakes

Lunch - salad, homemade soup, dinner leftovers, lettuce wraps

Dinner - stir-fry, BBQ meat and veg, curries, soup, stew, salad, lasagna with layers of eggplant/zucchini instead of pasta

Snacks - cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit, nuts, guacamole and veg, hummus and veg, celery and nut butter, kale chips, popcorn.







No comments:

Post a Comment